Rama Katha Rasa Vahini - Post 29

Dear All,

We move on to the stage where Kaikeyi asks for boon from Dasaratha that Rama should be in exile for 14 years and that her son Bharatha should be crowned as prince.

Sumantara informs Rama that Dasaratha and Kaikeyi have asked him to meet them.

Dasaratha is unable to share about the boon that Kaikeyi has asked him.

Kaikayi informs Rama about the same.

Let us read what our beloved lord Sai writes about the response of Rama, who was to be crowned as Prince on the next day.

"Rama was not affected in the least, while listening to these words uttered with such deliberate hard-heartedness. With a smile playing on his lips, he replied, "For this reason, it is not proper that father should lament". He nodded his head as if to signify his approval of the proposals made by Kaikeyi. But, when this conversation fell on his ears, Dasaratha felt as if his heart was being sawn within. He rolled and groaned in extreme agony. 

Rama turned towards Kaikeyi and said, "Mother! It will happen as you have contemplated! I am reverentially placing on my head the promise made by my father. It is enough if father draws me near him as he so lovingly used to do until now and speaks to me affectionately, and blesses me. Well, if I am at least told that I don't deserve these, that I have not earned that merit, I will accept it without demur and with equal joy and satisfaction. For, father always wishes the best for me. He blesses me always and desires that I progress ever.
He is a great seer; he is for me not only the father, but the preceptor who teaches the highest path. What responsibility and duty have I than conferring joy on him, who is both father and teacher? This is my dearest duty, my Dharma. I will derive immense Ananda in the forest for fourteen years. Not merely fourteen, if fatherís wish is such. I am prepared to live all my life in the forest itself! But, why is it that father is hesitating to tell me about these two boons? This is what pains me. Will I ever say no to what he says? Rama is the servant and support of the parental word, not its opponent. Is there any act of gratitude nobler than dedicating this body, which was received from the father, to his service alone? I shall offer it with Ananda; I am not one who waits to be told to do so.

"Mother why did you not mention to me that Bharatha is the person to be crowned? I and my brother - there is no difference between us; why then did you entertain any difference between us? We know no distinction among ourselves. Also, why is it that you say, this is your father's command? Do I ever disobey your commands? No I never do so. Whether you say it or my father says it I unhesitatingly carry it out. I am leaving Ayodhya this very day, and proceeding to the forest. Mother! Send proper messengers charged with the task of bringing Bharatha from the grandfather's place. 

It is best to get him quickly. If my moving into the forest and the coronation of Bharatha happen at the same time, father will be saved from physical strain, mental anxiety and the sense of void. And you too can be fully content! Who can say how events will shape themselves?"

When Kaikeyi heard these words from Rama, she was filled with Ananda and apprehension. She feared what might happen if Bharatha arrived while Rama was still present in the city; she concluded that it was best to insist on Rama leaving for the forest that very day itself. 

She replied, "Rama! It is possible to make arrangements to get Bharatha from where he is to Ayodhya; but, there is no need why you should continue here until he reaches this City. Since you have decided to start the hermit life, why should you delay your departure? For, the longer the start is delayed, the day of your return too will be advanced! It is advisable that you get ready to leave even now. "Your father is eager to tell you this himself, but, he is unwilling to express his command directly. Though his heart insists that he should say it, he is bothered by a sense of shame, for he loves you much. He is reluctant to inform you of his promise to me; that is the reason for his distress. He has no other grief. The quicker you depart from Ayodhya, the sooner he will recover from agony. Until you leave Ayodhya, I am afraid, he will not take food or bathe. Therefore, if you yearn to restore him to happiness, the sooner you depart the better".

Dasaratha lying prostrate on the bed heard these heart-piercing words of Kaikeyi; he could not contain his anger and sorrow. He burst into indistinct fury, "Fie on you, traitorous demon!" and turning to Rama, he cried, "Rama" twice, before he fainted again. Rama sat on the bed, with the head of his father on his lap; he stroked the forehead and consoled and comforted him with sweet lovingness. 

He also spoke to Kaikeyi, "Mother! I am not a covetous fellow, poisoned by worldly ambition. I have no desire to win over the people and establish my rule over the kingdom. I wish to live like a hermit; I yearn to foster and maintain righteousness (Dharma), that is all. I have only one more resolve: to confer joy on my most revered father. To realize these three objectives, I am prepared to undertake any task. A son has no greater duty, no higher good, than serving the father. Mother! Though father has not directly spoken to me, you are telling me what his command is, arenít you? That is quite enough. Besides, you are speaking in his very presence, and despite his hearing what you say, he is unable to alter or deny anything. Therefore, I infer that your words are virtually his. So, I bow to the order, and shall leave as directed.

"Mother! I have one little wish, which I hope you will fulfill. When Bharatha is ruling the empire, see that he obeys in every way the orders of Father and that he contributes to the joy and satisfaction of Father by his acts. For me, for Bharatha; indeed, for every son, there is nothing more holy and more fruitful than the vow of filling the heart of the father with contentment and happiness. Service of the father is the Sanathana Dharma, the eternal duty, of the son".

With these words, Rama fell prostrate on the ground and touched the feet of Mother Kaikeyi. Dasaratha, who heard his Son, writhed as if the Dharma that Rama expounded and the equanimity which he revealed aroused his love even more and thus aggravated his sorrow beyond control. Knowing that Rama will not stay in Ayodhya any longer, he lost all sense of propriety and status. 

He shouted, "Rama!", and slumped on the hard floor of the room. Women in the zenana heard the thump, and were stunned into grief and wonder. They lamented loudly among themselves at the turn of events. Rama realized that it was not advisable to delay any longer. He prostrated before his father and touched his feet. Then, he walked out of the apartment.

----
Dear All,

We have to introspect as to where we stand, as a son, as a father, as a mother and with the next post to speak about Sita's and Lakshmana's response, we also need to introspect as to where we stand as a brother, as wife!!

Love.



Rama Katha Rasa Vahini - Post 29 Rama Katha Rasa Vahini - Post 29 Reviewed by Bhakti Mantra on September 10, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.